Destinations in Guatemala:
Deep in Guatemala's Alta Verapaz department, about 70 km (45 miles) from Coban, lies a jewel of stunning natural splendor that relatively few travelers visit: Semuc Champey. Those who go, however, agree that it's one of the loveliest spots in Guatemala and well worth a visit!
In Semuc Champey, the Cahabon river flows underground for about 350 m (1,150 ft). Above it a natural limestone bridge has formed and is home to a series of pools and small ponds, which are fed by creeks and waterfalls running down the surrounding mountain slopes.
The pools are about one meter (three feet) deep and range in color from emerald green to turquoise to dark sapphire blue. The locals like to go for a swim in the crystal clear water of the pools, and you are most welcome to do likewise!
Semuc Champey is part of a National Park that was established to protect the pools and the surrounding terrain. In the visitors center at the entrance you can find plenty of information about the pools and their unique geology.
Tour packages including a visit to Semuc Champey:
- Coban, Alta Verapaz (3 days & 2 nights)
- Visit Semuc Champey, the caves of Lanquin and the Quetzal Biotope.
- Maya Guatemala (14 days)
- The grand tour of Guatemala! Visit Antigua, Chichicastenango, Lake Atitlan, Tikal, Copan (Honduras), Livingston, Coban, and climb the Pacaya Volcano.
- Maya Guatemala and "The Caribbean Experience" (21 days)
- The grand tour of Guatemala plus seven relaxing days on our sailboat Las Sirenas to the Belize Barrier Reef and Islands.
- More tour packages ...