Destinations in Guatemala:
On the northern bank of the Rio Dulce, just where the river empties into the Bahia de Amatique, lies a small town with a great history: Livingston. Being the only major settlement on Guatemala's Caribbean coast, Livingston used to be the country's principal Caribbean port until Puerto Barrios was founded in the late 19th century and relegated Livingston to the second league.
The history of Livingston actually begins on the faraway Caribbean island of St Vincent. A mixture of shipwrecked African slaves and native Indians, the Garifuna people was fiercely independent and resisted all attempts to conquer the island for years. When the British finally defeated them, they deported the surviving Garifuna to the Honduran Bay Island of Roatan, from where they later spread all along the coast from Trujillo, Honduras, to Belize. They founded Livingston around 1795.
The Garifuna are very pround of their traditions, and their distinct customs, food and music set Livingston apart from the rest of Guatemala. The ambience in Livingston reminds visitors more of Belize and the Caribbean than of Latin America, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons why Livingston appears at the top of the itinerary of many visitors to the area.
As there are no roads to Livingston, the town can only be reached by boat. Getting there is not a problem, though, since many lanchas are available that connect Livingston with Rio Dulce, Puerto Barrios and southern Belize.
Tours including a visit to Livingston:
- Livingston and Castillo San Felipe (1 day)
- Day trip from Santo Tomas or Puerto Barrios: Visit the town of Livingston and the old Spanish fort of San Felipe.
- Sailboat Tour of the Rio Dulce and Lake Izabal (4 days)
- Four-day sailing trip of the Rio Dulce and Lake Izabal on sailboat Las Sirenas.
- Maya Guatemala (14 days)
- The grand tour of Guatemala! Visit Antigua, Chichicastenango, Lake Atitlan, Tikal, Copan (Honduras), Livingston, Coban, and climb the Pacaya Volcano.
- Maya Guatemala and "The Caribbean Experience" (21 days)
- The grand tour of Guatemala plus seven relaxing days on our 46' Polineasian sailboat to the Belize Barrier Reef and Islands.
- More tour packages ...